Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Genesis III

So I finished the story of Noah and the ark. Imagine being cooped up with all those animals for a little more than a year....

Anyway, in chapter 11, the descendants of Noah start to build this tower to "make a name for [them]selves, otherwise we shall be scattered..." Okay, I guess. But the Lord sees it and decides to go down to earth to shake things up. I have read the book of Genesis several times in my life, but I don't recall reading this portion in quite this way: "Come, let us go down, and confuse their language there...." And then the Lord scattered them abroad in the earth anyway! So why did the people think if they built a tower they would not be scattered? Who warned them that such a thing might happen? And did you notice the plural way that God spoke of God: let us go down. Kind of interesting, I must admit....

And now you know that I have a fascination with words, which I am sure you did not know before...

No comments:

Post a Comment