Thursday, March 19, 2009

Job 1

So did you notice a couple of things right away in the book of Job? First of all, although he had 10 children, he was a wealthy man. Second, his children met together for feasting and such and Job always followed it up with burnt offerings and such on their behalf, in case they had sinned. Always the parent, I guess....

And then there are those servants who all came to Job and said, "I alone...." and brought bad tidings. So with all of his children, his animals, and his servants (except the 4) gone, Job still did not blame God for his misfortune. How often are we like that? Do we not wonder how God can let various misfortunes happen around the world, around our town, in our families? Is is really God doing those things? Are they things we or they deserved? Sometimes I think we really like to have someone to blame. And it seems that it would be very easy to blame God. Have you ever blamed God? I don't think I have. I have questioned God about why something was happening, but I don't think I ever blamed God. It is just part of our human condition, I guess. There was that book 20 or so years ago, When Bad Things Happen to Good People. I have never read it but I remember hearing from various people that it was about time someone wrote a book like that, to prove that God only wanted good for us. Maybe I should read it.... I guess I have just felt that really Job shows us how to be faithful without being a doormat kind of person who just expects the worst....

No comments:

Post a Comment